Swimming pools are the stars of many back yards in Beaumont providing healthy fun for family and friends. In order to ensure years of great memories, pool safety must be kept in mind at all times.
When we think of pool accidents, drownings are the first that comes to mind. However, spinal cord injuries are another equally devastating danger that shouldn’t be taken lightly. As advocates of health and safety, Crocodile Pools presents you tips on how to prevent swimming pool spinal cord injuries to help prevent an accident.
What is the Spinal Cord?
Before we get into how to prevent swimming pool spinal cord injuries, let’s get a better understanding about why the spinal cord is so important.
The nerves that run along your back are known as the spinal cord. These nerves are responsible for sending and receiving signals from the brain to the rest of the body, allowing us to move.
When the spinal cord is injured, these signals are interrupted. Depending on where and how severe the injury is, the spinal cord damage could lead to partial or complete paralysis, and in extreme cases, death.
Swimming Pool Spinal Cord Injuries
The National Spinal Cord Statistical Center estimates that
there are approximately 17,700 new spinal cord injury cases every year in the United States.
Swimming and diving accidents represent the fourth leading cause of spinal cord injuries, with diving accidents accounting for more than 1800 cases each year. The majority of diving spinal cord injuries result in complete paralysis.
Thankfully, many of these injuries are preventable. Here we share a few safety guidelines.
- Always check there is enough water in the pool to avoid hitting the bottom when you dive into the water.
- The American Red Cross guideline advice states that the minimum depth of a pool for diving should be 9-feet. However, some experts suggest a profundity of no less than 10-12 feet is the safest for diving.
- If you are swimming or diving in a pool that is unfamiliar to you, always inspect it first. Make sure there are no obstacles at the bottom that could injure you.
- Never try to judge the depth of a pool by just glancing at it. Sunlight can distort your depth perception. Therefore, enter the water and swim around to get a better sense of how deep the pool is.
- Never dive into a pool with poor lighting at night.
- Don’t dive into a pool if the water is murky.
Regular pool cleaning is necessary to help keep the pool water crystalline. Make sure to give us a call if you notice your pool’s clarity has decreased.
Alcohol and Pools
Alcohol and swimming pools are not a good match. Alcohol affects our decision making, and it can also impair our balance and vision. Therefore, you should never:
- Drink alcohol near your pool
- Avoid swimming while under the influence
- Never dive into a pool if you have been drinking.
Check out our Free Pool Maintenance Estimator. You’ll be surprised how affordable it is to keep it safe and clean!
Be Cautious and Respectful
- Learn to swim properly.
- Don’t swim alone; if you get injured, you will need someone to assist you.
- Only one person should stand on a diving board at a time.
- Only dive off the end of the board.
- Don’t allow anyone to run on the diving board.
- Don’t bounce more than once on the board.
- Never push anyone into a pool.
- Keep the deck area clean to prevent it from becoming slippery.
- Remove toys and other obstacles that could cause someone to trip and fall around the pool.
- Install lighting in and around your pool.
Spinal cord injuries from swimming and diving accidents happen more frequently than any of us would like. We urge you to follow these safety guidelines and help keep your loved ones safe.
Crocodile Pools is an expert in pool maintenance. Call us for a free consultation, on how we can help make your in-ground pool safer by keeping it properly maintained.
Contact Us to schedule a free evaluation and to set up weekly maintenance so your pool is always safe, beautiful and ready for your family and friends to enjoy!
Join our many other happy customers that now enjoy a beautiful safe, clean pool year-round. Best of all, we’ll save you money!
Crocodile Pools provides Southeast Texas with the highest quality pool maintenance services at the best prices.
Why Choose Us?
- We’re Safe. NSPF CPO certified and we hold an up-to-date Texas Residential Appliance Installation License.
- We’re Secure. Insured & Bonded
- We’re Friendly & Reliable.
- We’re Responsible. We run background checks and drug screens its staff.
- Best Value. Our full service includes chemicals.
- We’re Local! Serving Beaumont & Lumberton.
- We’ve Got Even More Specials! Get One (1) Free Month for Every Friend You Refer!
Our Commitment to You
- Answer the phone when you call
- Show up on time
- Provide an excellent service
- Resolve issues to your satisfaction
Crocodile Pools. Let Us Take the Bite Out of Your Pool!
Your Satisfaction is Our Priority
Comprehensive Cleaning of Client's Pool
A video of a comprehensive cleaning we did on a client’s pool. We drained, pressure washed, refilled, balanced the water and got it crystal clear! We also completely replace all their old equipment with new more efficient equipment. During this process we also converted them from saltwater to freshwater. Can’t say it was fun during the process but it is fun to see the result!