Here in Southeast Texas, summer, and the warmer weather it brings, normally comes early! Before you jump in the pool though, make sure it’s ready for swimming. By completing a few simple and proactive steps when opening your pool, you could end up saving yourself a lot of time, money, and trouble later on. Here are a few things you can do in preparation for pool season this summer!
It’s tempting to just jump in your pool the second the weather heats up, but wait just a little bit. Check your pool to see if there is any algae growth, leaves, or debris that may have snuck in during the winter season. If you see any debris floating in your pool, scoop them out of the water with a skimmer or a leaf rake. Schedule an appointment with us today to clean your pool and get it all ready for summer!
You may have checked and cleaned your pool filter at the end of the last pool season, but if you didn’t, now is the time to do it! It’s always best to start your pool season off with a clean filter to ensure your pool stays clean. Here are a few things you should look for when checking your pool filter:
• Check the media cartridges for cracks or holes
• If you have a sand filter, change the sand if it’s needed (it’s recommended around every 5 years)
• After backwashing and before you start your filter up, add new DE
• Check the O rings to make sure they seal correctly
• Inspect the filter gauge to make sure it still works correctly
Here are a few steps to prime your pool pump and get your filter ready for summer:
• Add water to the suction lines with a water hose to get rid of any air in the plumbing lines
• Open the filter gauge pressure relief and then mark your starting PSI
• Check your controller to make sure it’s set to the right time, hours of operation and programs for variable speed or variable flow pumps
• After the filtration system is working, check all the components in the equipment area for leaks
• Open all the suction and return lines and clean out any debris in the line
Keeping a test kit to check your pool water chemistry is an extremely helpful tool that all pool owners should have. Keeping your pool water well balanced is one of the main aspects of having healthy water. Choose from many types of pool test kits like test strips, liquid reagent kits, and digital testers to make sure your pool is balanced and healthy.
Shock your pool with a chlorine or non-chlorine shock to make sure your pool water is completely disinfected. If your pool has algae, you’ll need to use a chlorine shock to completely get rid of it.
Getting your pool ready for summer is a lot of work, but you don’t have to do it alone! Get with us today so we can help you get your pool clean, safe, and beautiful so you can enjoy your pool this summer without the hassle!
At Crocodile Pools, we love helping our clients keep their pools clean all year round. If you’re ready to take the next step in hiring a professional to help you care for your pool, contact us today! You’ve got nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain, including a beautiful pool all year round! Check out our SERVICES and CONTACT US for a FREE consultation to ensure your in-ground pool stays safe and clean. Make sure to follow us on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and YOUTUBE for helpful pool tips, tricks, and deals throughout the season!